October 22, 2019
Watching Our Waste This Holiday!
Halloween is here and the holidays fall right on the heels. Minnesotans are a festive bunch and we love to entertain, decorate and exchange gifts with loved ones…but at what expense? According to Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, a typical Minnesotan between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day adds an additional 1 million tons a week to the nation’s garbage piles. That is not Minnesota Nice!
Arc’s Value Village is a solution to the pollution! From repurposed costumes to holiday entertaining and festive fashions, we have ideas on how to save money, save the planet, and save the true meaning of the holidays!
Ideas for eco-friendly Halloween:
- Buy repurposed costumes for less than $20. Why are we spending $50+ every year on new packaged costumes? And donate last year’s costumes on your way in to keep the party going!
- Repurpose household items into themed decorations. The terra cotta flowerpots on the patio transform nicely into decorative pumpkins with a little black tape or sharpie! Mason jars and plastic milk jugs can be crafted into cute ghosts and goblins to light your mantle or windowsills.
- If you buy a fresh pumpkin, be sure to use the whole pumpkin. Bake the seeds and puree the flesh for vegetable stocks, pumpkin bread and even pumpkin pie.
Ideas for eco-friendly Thanksgiving:
- Why are we over-spending on new when slightly used will do? Start circular inventory this year: buy party dishes used, use for the season, and donate it back December 30th for the tax incentive! Large serving platters and roasting pans take up too much space so consider starting there.
- Instead of buying wine charms for your wine glass identifier, consider buying mismatched wine glasses and guests each select a unique glass.
- Shop your coat closet for festive table linens! A long plaid scarf makes a decorative table runner.
Ideas for eco-friendly Holidays:
- Festive fashions from our personal shoppers. Why are we over-spending on a new outfit for the office party? Our thrift stylists will put together an amazing cost-efficient look for you for less than $25.
- Creative giftwrap ideas. Why are we still throwing away the gift-wrap? Why not have the wrapping and container as part of the gift? Picnic baskets and vintage coolers make fun gift bags. Polo shirts and sheet music replace gift-wrap too.
Arc’s Value Village is all about Reduce, Reuse & Recycle. And all proceeds support people with disabilities through The Arc Minnesota. We encourage you to break tradition this year, and watch your waste!